Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Aggregation is the new Search?

I did a post on Alltop and Web Content aggregation a while ago. With all the content on the Internet, most people don't knowing how and where to look for what they need. Google results brings in a whole lot of irrelevant results, at time further complicating matters. For the average browser aggregation could be a great solution.

I came across another such service called Social Rank, kind of a cross between Technorati and Alltop. What I found interesting was a rather aggressive take on the benefits of a aggregation site as apposed to good old fashioned searching (Google in this case). Have a look at their advertisement below, it actually makes sense. With blogs becoming an important source of information (and opinion), what does this mean for Search Engine?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

actually, before alltop, we did have an aggregtor here:

http://buzz.ittazee.com/

Atif Sultan Ali Khan said...

Hi Maryam,

I didn't know about the one at ittazee.com, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

But yes, Alltop.com defiantly is not the first one around. From what I know, http://popurls.com/ is the first one to establish a real aggregtor.

Correct me if I'm wrong!